Legal Elite of the Upstate

A Veteran-Owned Business

'Top 40 Under 40' award by The National Trial Lawyers

Seal of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum


Call Us For Free Consultation



How to Apply for an Extension of Visitor Visa in the US?

The Carolina Law Group > Blog  > How to Apply for an Extension of Visitor Visa in the US?

How to Apply for an Extension of Visitor Visa in the US?

If you’re in the U.S. on a visitor visa and want to stay longer than your visa allows, what do you do next? Here’s how to apply for an extension of your visitor visa in the U.S.

How to Apply for U.S. Visitor Visa Extension

Eligible visitors need to file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Find the I-539 form online along with instructions. Fill it out and file it online if eligible; click the “File Online” button found at the top of the page. Alternatively, print out and mail the completed form to the appropriate filing location address found under the “Nonimmigrants and Their Dependents” section for “B nonimmigrants and their dependents” on the Filing Addresses page.

When Should You Apply for Extension to Visitor Visa?

USCIS recommends applying for an extension at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires. However, you may file your I-539 any time before the expiration date on your I-94.

Find the date your authorized stay in the country expires in the lower right-hand corner of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, which you can access on the official I-94 Website.

Eligibility to Extend Your Visit

Not all visitors are eligible to extend their visitor visa with Form I-539. Visitors who are eligible to extend their visitor visa by submitting Form I-539:

        Must have a valid visitor visa, specifically a business (B-1) visa or a tourism (B-2) visa or combination (B-1/B-2) visa

        Were lawfully admitted into the U.S. with a nonimmigrant visa

        Have not committed any crimes that make you ineligible

        Have not violated the conditions of your admission

        Have a valid passport that will remain valid through the duration of your requested stay

For a list of other, non-B visa types that are also eligible to use I-539 to extend or change their status, plus a complete list of visa types that are not eligible, refer to the I-539 page.

Have Questions About U.S. Visas? Call the Immigration Attorneys at The Carolina Law Group

Do you have questions about the visa application process, visa extension process, or other U.S. immigration matter? Have you overstayed your visitor visa, or do you have questions about what to do while waiting to hear from USCIS about a pending application? Even with all the information available online, it can be confusing to know what steps to take next and whether you’re doing everything right. Unfortunately, doing it wrong – like filing the wrong form or missing a deadline – can have severe consequences such as removal (deportation) or being barred from coming to the U.S. in the future.

Call us at The Carolina Law Group today to schedule your free consultation. Our immigration attorneys can help you with your immigration issue, whether you need help with a visa, permanent residence card (green card), asylum, or something else. Call us today at one of the numbers below to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation so we can talk.

The Carolina Law Group has four offices in South Carolina for your convenience: Greenville (principal office; call 864.312.4444), Greer (principal office; call 864.757.5555), Spartanburg (principal office; call 864.312.4444) & West Columbia (principal office; call 803.881.1110).

Call us at one of our four offices or contact us online to schedule your free consultation with one of our attorneys. Our business hours are Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 5:30pm & Friday 8:30 am – 5 pm. Weekend and evening hours by appointment only. Our Greenville, SC law firm offers Spanish, Hindi, and Gujarati language translation services for your convenience.


Monty D. Desai came to the United States on Christmas Eve, 1988. After high school he joined the service in order to earn money for college. Monty would go on to earn a letter of commendation as a Navy Corpsman for the Marine Corps. After his service, Monty completed his undergraduate studies at the University of South Carolina. From there, Monty went on to attend Thomas M. Cooley Law School on full scholarship, where he earned his Juris Doctorate. Following graduation from law school, Monty served as prosecutor with Greenville County Solicitor’s Office, and also worked as a a adjunct professor in the Criminal Justice Division at Greenville Technical College. In 2015 Monty was recognized by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys as ranked among the Top 10 Under 40 for excellence in the field of personal injury.

Translate »